Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tips for Winter Commuting on Campus

As snow continues to fall across campus, mustering enough motivation to face the elements and walk to class is exceptionally difficult this time of year. And because winter occupies the majority of the spring semester, I don’t recommend skipping classes because of the cold weather (or at all for that matter). With that out of the way, I shall tell you my approach for getting to class on those bone-chilling, teeth-chattering, well-below-freezing mornings that make you question the nonchalant weather forecast you just watched before leaving.

My first recommendation, one that should not come as a surprise, is to wear warm pants, coats, gloves, hats, and most importantly, boots. An added note about hats: Those things that would alleviate the “I can’t feel my ears” phenomenon should not be left hanging at home simply because you did your hair this morning

My second suggestion would be to ensure that you have everything you need for all of your classes that day before leaving your room. Sounds redundant, I know, but when I leave for class I only want to return when I’m finished. Walking twice as far as you have to in this weather is never fun, so make sure you don’t have to do it.

Finally, consider planning out your trip so that you follow the bus routes on your way to and from classes, even if it is slightly less direct. Buses circle campus every few minutes throughout the day, and finding one that is going where you are is never a difficult task. And if you happen to be walking past a stop while one pulls up, you just made your trip less exhausting.

So there you go. That’s how make it to class while staying as warm as possible during the freezing cold winter months in Bloomington. There’s nothing you can do about the weather, but little things here and there can make dealing with it much easier and more tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment